Open the Government is an inclusive, nonpartisan coalition that works to strengthen our democracy and empower the public by advancing policies that create a more open, accountable, and responsive government.
- Creating Accountability by Informing the Public through Securing, Preserving and Increasing Access to Records
- Protecting National Security by Decreasing Secrecy
- Empowering Communities by Increasing Access to Information
- Securing Checks and Balances by Addressing Threats to Norms of Access and Openness
OTG is seeking an experienced communications professional to implement a comprehensive communications strategy that will strengthen the message of our coalition, educate the public and policy leaders, and support openness and accountability measures.
- Manage the planning and execution of OTG’s communications and outreach to a wide variety of audiences, including the media, policy makers, coalition partners and the public.
- Coordinate joint media strategies and projects with OTG partner groups, and provide tools for partners to use in their own communications efforts.
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters and editors. Pitch stories and op-eds.
- Oversee organizational response to media inquiries.
- Draft press releases, blog posts, opinion pieces and other products.
- Edit all public facing documents.
- Contribute to drafting and editing grant proposals.
- Oversee the OTG website, blog, and social media accounts.
- Help plan and coordinate events and conferences.
- Create a rapid response strategy to take advantage of the news cycle.
- Draft and distribute bi-monthly partner newsletter.
- BA, BS in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field and at least 5-7 years in media relations or communications.
- Experience pitching to broadcast, print, and digital outlets.
- Experience using content management systems.
- Experience managing social media platforms for an organization.
- Familiarity with the policy-making process. Hill or nonprofit experience a plus.
- An innovative and proactive approach to growing media coverage.
- A commitment to strengthening our democracy and support for OTG’s mission. Familiarity with oversight and accountability issues a plus.
- Graphic design ability a plus.
- Collegial team player with a sense of humor.
Salary commensurate with experience. OTG offers a generous benefits package.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
OTG is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.