Director of Communications
OpenTheGovernment (OTG) is a nonpartisan coalition dedicated to empowering the public by advancing policies that lead to a more open, accountable and responsive government. OTG amplifies voices in civil society in order to strengthen our democratic institutions, increase access to information, protect national security, and address threats to access and openness. We work with communities beyond our own so that transparency and accountability become part of their message and mission, and we build relationships with allies who can pull on different levers of government to advance accountability and defeat harmful policies and practices.
OTG is seeking an experienced Director of Communications to develop a comprehensive communications strategy that will strengthen the message of our coalition, educate the public and policy leaders, and support openness and accountability measures. This new position offers an exciting opportunity to raise the profile of the OTG coalition and shape our messaging of transparency and accountability issues as they relate to a strong democracy.
- Manage the planning and execution of OTG’s communications and outreach to a wide variety of audiences, including the media, policy makers, coalition partners and the public.
- Coordinate joint media strategies and projects with OTG partner groups, and provide tools for partners to use in their own communications efforts.
- Build and maintain relationships with reporters and editors. Pitch stories and op-eds. Oversee organizational response to media inquiries.
- Draft and/or edit public facing products and other documents.
- Oversee the OTG website, blog, and social media accounts, including a website redesign.
- Help plan and coordinate events and conferences.
- Create a rapid response strategy to take advantage of the news cycle.
- Work with consultants to develop visual messaging to be used in social media.
- BA, BS in journalism, communications, public relations or a related field and at least 5-7 years in media relations and communications, including experience pitching broadcast, radio, print, and digital outlets.
- Familiarity with the policy-making process. Hill or nonprofit experience a plus.
- An innovative and proactive approach to growing media coverage.
- Experience using content management systems and social media platforms. Experience managing multimedia projects a plus.
- A commitment to strengthening our democracy and support for OTG’s mission.
- Collegial team player with a sense of humor.
Salary commensurate with experience. OTG offers a generous benefits package.
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to emanna @ openthegovernment.org
OTG is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.